Hi Everybody! Wayne here. I have years of experience behind the lens and in the darkroom (wet film and digital). Let me teach you the skills of photography and digital print work – without all the classroom jargon. We’ll cut right to the essentials. Hands-On!
You’ll quickly learn the relationship between f-stop, shutter speed, depth-of-field, colour temperature and composition. Discover why photography is meditation for the soul. Through the lens of your camera you’ll find mental balance and solitude. A photograph is more than a ‘scroll-through’ on social media: A photograph is a state of mind – a balance of nature, colour, light, shadow and emotion. A photograph is a print that belongs on your wall to cherish for generations.
My motto: “It’s a great day for photography. Shoot ’til it feels good!”
Why not join me?!!
What We’ll Do
DAY 1 – Outdoor, Hands-On Photography Workshop
Day 2 – Print Workshop
We’ll meet at a pre-determined location at the top of South West Arm, just off the TCH (for your info, we are located half-way between St. John’s and Gander, Newfoundland).
Day 1 – A Photographic Journey: Once the backbone of the fishing industry, the area is steeped in history. You’ll not be disappointed: old villages, shorelines, landscapes and seascapes with crashing waves! There are secret places that few people know about: coves and caves, beaches and trails, and abandoned settlements that are rarely seen! I’ll teach you a couple of clever tricks that will get you perfect exposures every time. Our itinerary revolves around the beauty of the season.
At the end of the day it’s back to our cosy quarters for the night!
Day 2 – The Fine Art of the Print: Into the digital lab we go to download our masterpieces. We’ll perform adjustments on your favourite, selected image. Colour corrections and adjustments are performed on a calibrated monitor using state-of-the-art photo editing software. When it looks just right your prized capture is output to our high-end printer on fine art paper: yours to take home and frame for display on your wall! I’ll make sure you get a great shot to work with from our Day 1 field adventure. That’s a promise!
Where We’ll Go
Old communities, rugged shores, the sun and moon rising and falling, an old house lost in time: Seasonally accessible, we’ll photograph in and around communities or landmarks such as: Butter Cove, Caplin Cove, Gooseberry Cove, Hatchet Cove, Heart’s Ease Beach, Hillview, Hodge’s Cove, House Cove, Island Cove, Ivany’s Cove, Little Heart’s Ease, Long Beach, Loreburn, North West Brook, Queen’s Cove, Southport, St Jones Within and St Jones Without.
What I’ll Provide
- Snacks: energy bars, muffins, chips, fruit
- Drinks: Coffee, Tea, Juice, Soft drinks, and Water
- Camera: If you don’t have a DSLR Camera we may offer a loaner. Please contact us for details.
What to Bring
- Camera and Tripod (tripod optional but nice to have). NOTE: Join in with your phone. Great prints can be made from today’s awesome phones! If you’re in the marker for a DSLR this is the place to learn which one to buy!
- Good Hiking Boots
- Wind Pants and Jacket (rain and wind proof), gloves and hat (hand and foot warmers, nice to have).
- Water Bottle with your favourite hydrant. Thermos with hot chocolate, tea or coffee.
- Sandwich, Instant or Quick Prep Meal, Energy Snacks, etc.
- Sunglasses, Sunscreen, Lip Balm, personal care items, toilet tissue
- Day Pack / Back Pack to carry your gear
- Extra memory card or storage device and spare battery/batteries.
- Extra layers and warm socks as the season dictates. Better to have and put on if the weather changes than not to have at all!
Exit the Trans Canada Highway onto Route 204. At 1 km turn left into North West Brook. Travel approximately 300 feet and there’s a small beige building on the right. You are there 🙂
We’ve teamed up with our local hospitality partner for a comfortable stay. They also offer beautiful, home cooked meals!
- Snacks and refreshments are provided during the workshop: coffee, tea, water, muffins, energy bars, fruit…
- Main course meals are offered through our hospitality partner or you may pack your own
- You will require your personal vehicle
- Maximum number of guests is capped at 8 unless you are booking your group where you may book more.
- We offer a group discount! Inquire